You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to save things I repeatedly use in new projects?

I have been using AD to design labels and now posters for quite a big product range. There are graphical features that appear on each of these labels as a part of the branding. Currently I have been opening a completed file, copying the elements I need and pasting them into the new project file. Is this the only way of getting these elements into a new file? Is there a way of saving these graphical elements as a file I can drag into each new project? Perhaps keep them organised in a library type folder? This is probably a workflow type of question, but I am still green with how to use AD efficiently.

Thanks for your help.

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

I'm on thin ice now, but..

If you go to export persona and make slices of the objects.

Export them to a folder in finder. Then you can use the veiew>media browser to "pick from".

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I'm on thin ice now, but..

If you go to export persona and make slices of the objects.

Export them to a folder in finder. Then you can use the veiew>media browser to "pick from".

Thank you Madame. I will give this a try.

Cheers

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

One option I experimented with is creating and saving some graphical elements as separate AD files. I then dragged them into a new project from the finder window. This created a series of embedded documents. This raises a few questions...

1. What is an embedded document? Is it an AD file within an AD file? Kind of a copy of the original file that is editable?

2. By double clicking the embedded document I opened a separate window where I could edit the element, change colours, move things around etc, and all layers are accessible. When I make changes to the element, save the parent document, I notice that the original file is left untouched. It is like the embedded document is a new file within the project? Is there a way to save the changes made to an embedded document as a new AD file?

Thank you.

Embedded Documents seem to be the way to go.

"Embedding documents allows you to place any Affinity (Designer, Photo, etc.), Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand, SVG, EPS or PDF document into your current document without the need to open each file in turn... Once you've added embedded documents onto your page, you can edit each document without leaving your current document."

So by creating and saving each of my assets as separate AD files and placed in a Finder folder with an appropriate name, I can use Finder to view the collection and place into a new document. So easy!

Cheers