You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch Processing Speed on M1 Max

This may be a dumb question, but I’m wondering whether the following is normal/intended behavior.

I have a 2015 core i7 iMac and a new M1 Max 16” MacBook Pro. When running batch jobs in Affinity Photo, my 4-core/8-thread iMac predictably processes ~8 photos at a time. However, when doing the same thing on my M1 Max MBP (which has at least 8 usable cores), Affinity seems to only process two photos at a time. I haven’t run a side-by-side test to compare speed but the laptop’s SSD is multiple times faster than the iMac’s so I’d expect to see at least a small speed improvement in batch processing from that alone, to say nothing of the dramatically faster memory and CPU architecture improvements. And in case it makes a difference, my batch jobs are typically just converting 100-200 .afphoto files to jpegs (at full resolution, 90% quality).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can corroborate or provide an explanation for this behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed the same on my MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max (2ec, 8pc, 32c GPU, 32GB); MacOS Monterey 12.1; AP 1.10.4. All files where read and written from and to the internal SSD. The macro I'm applying consists of 9 steps. Setting the units to mm, Document resizing (lancos 3, separable), setting the document margins and adding/moving 3 guides.

It looks like that only 2 performance cores are fully utilized during the execution of the batch job. All other cores and GPU only show minor utilization. I added two screenshots, 'Before' and 'During' the processing. 'Hardware acceleration' in 'Performance' settings were check marked (Apple M1 Max (Metal)) as well as 'Parallel processing'  was enabled in the batch job definition. Not sure if the behaviour is expected or if it is rather an issue/bug.

Before.png

During.png

• Staff

Hi @loganemakfand Welcome to the Forums,

Can you just confirm you have Parallel Processing enabled?  As Affinity then be using a core for each process.

While i personally don't have an M1 Max Pro to compare this with, i know the Dev team do all have access to one, so i can easily get this logged :) 

On 1/17/2022 at 3:49 AM, ErikA310 said:

It looks like that only 2 performance cores are fully utilized during the execution of the batch job. All other cores and GPU only show minor utilization. I added two screenshots, 'Before' and 'During' the processing. 'Hardware acceleration' in 'Performance' settings were check marked (Apple M1 Max (Metal)) as well as 'Parallel processing'  was enabled in the batch job definition. Not sure if the behaviour is expected or if it is rather an issue/bug.

Thanks for reporting this also :) 

While i don't have an M1 Max Pro to confirm this with, i should enough to get this logged with the Dev team, who all do have access an M1 Max Pro :)