You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Thank you for the further updates, our development team would like you to try extracting the MSI from the .exe file and installing using this method.

Can you please do the following:

1. Move the downloaded affinity.exe to C:\temp
    image.png
  2. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

CMD

3. type the following into the command prompt, being sure to press Enter after each line

cd C:\temp

affinity-designer-1.10.3.exe /extract

4. In the dialog that opens, enter your email address and product key and tick the checkbox for a desktop icon if required, then click Create...

Does this install the app correctly for you? :)

So I followed the steps, but my Temp Files are located someone different for some reason they are under app data and then local as C:\temp dies not exist on my machine, is this normal, anyway I did it using the Temp path and it installed the MSI file I launched it it did something for a little bit and then closed I opened the desktop icon and it did the loading cursor then nothing happened. 

• Staff
6 minutes ago, MrJWG said:

So I followed the steps, but my Temp Files are located someone different for some reason they are under app data and then local as C:\temp dies not exist on my machine, is this normal

Thanks for letting me know, that's the correct location for your Windows temporary files - the above folder needs to be created manually which is my mistake. My apologies as I had forgotten this step as the folder already existed on my machine! :$

However, it should still have worked correctly when using a different folder, it's certainly interesting this has allowed the app to install but cannot launch correctly.

Can you please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\

In the window that opens, do you see a log.txt file? If so, please attach this to your reply here.

Secondly, I'd like to see if any crash reports are generated. Once again from Windows Run, paste the following:

%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Are any crash reports available here for you?

Thirdly, I'd like to request a copy of your event viewer log, to see if this shows any relevant information.

Could you please -

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here :)

• Staff

Many thanks for these files :D 

I can see the log.txt file is empty, which means Affinity isn't initialising at all currently.

Could you please attach the crash reports from this folder for me?
As your event viewer log shows very similar crashing of the Affinity.exe as was happening with the installer.exe -

image.png

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response, I have logged you crash reports with our developers but I'm currently awaiting further feedback from our team internally - as I have attempted all the known steps to resolve this without much joy thus far.

Can you please confirm which version of .NET is installed on your PC? You can do this using the below utility -

http://www.asoft.be/prod_netver.html

Please provide a screenshot of the results of this app and I'll be sure to respond here as soon as I have further information.

Many thanks once again for your understanding here :)

• Staff

Thanks for the screenshot provided!

According to the following link, the issue we're seeing with your app is likely caused by a mismatch between your .NET Framework and the .NET language pack in use -

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/net-472-issue-with-rehosted-workflow-designer/307924

Can you please run the above utility once again, then select the 'Copy' button in the bottom right, paste this info into a new notepad file and then attach the .txt file here for me? :)

• Staff

Unfortunately I can't provide an 'ETA' as such - as this isn't an issue we've had reported previously all we can do is continue to try different methods of determining the exact cause, so that we can work towards a solution or workaround.

Our support, QA and development teams are very busy at at the moment, I appreciate you're currently unable to use the app on this new device and I offer our sincerest apologies for this and any inconveniences caused - but I can say that you have received on average multiple more responses and in a quicker response time than any other Affinity user that I'm supporting at this time.

I cannot be more specific than this at this time, as it may be the next thing we try that resolves the issue, or it may require further investigation and perhaps a coding fix within the next update - I simply cannot guarantee anything until we're certain of the exact cause.

We have been using our test system to install the exact versions of .NET, with the same language packs as your system has to see if we can replicate the crashing behaviour locally - this process takes considerable time and therefore there may be a delay between my responses here on the forums.

Can you please confirm for me, are you running 'Windows 10 version N' currently? This is a specific version of Windows which comes preinstalled on certain devices.

In the meantime, if you still have access to the other PC you have previously used Affinity on then it may be worth continuing your work there for the time being, as for all the reasons above I cannot provide any accurate estimations to how long this may take to resolve.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here.

• Staff

Yes that's exactly what I needed to see, thank you for that.

As this stands, our developers are investigating the issue further but I do not currently have any further suggestions for you to try until they have concluded their testing.

I have been asked to double check that you created a brand new user account on this computer and have tried installing the application there? I appreciate I have already asked this, but we're a little stumped as to how the app also failed to open here!

I also need to inform you that I'm unfortunately not working over this weekend, so it will likely not be until Monday when I'm able to update you here.

Once again my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences caused and many thanks for your understanding :)

• Staff
4 minutes ago, MrJWG said:

should I try the method of extracting the MSI file using a different account? As I only tried a new setup file

I would certainly recommend trying this, although if the new user account was failing to launch the installer it too will likely be unable to run the application.

Depending on how 'new' the PC is to you, it may be worth doing a Windows re-install, whilst retaining all your user files and then trying the install & launch process once more - although somewhat of a 'hail Mary' solution, I have seen this resolve a few issues previously, but YMMV.

The PC is not new to me at all in fact I have had my PC for over 2 years I am switching my main device I use for designing to this PC as I recently Installed a larger much faster SSD, I previously have Affinity on this PC around a year or so ago.