You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please can someone help a beginner with manually fixing red eye in affinity photo for iPad?

Hi all,

I’ve tried googling and searching the forums and can’t find a tutorial or directions on how to manually fix red eye in affinity photo for iPad.  The red eye tool only barely changed my daughter’s “laser-red” eyes.  I found a tutorial for a Mac version of affinity but the interface there looks nothing like what I have on the iPad.  His suggestion is to select the iris and use curves to adjust red.  I can figure out how adjust curves but no matter what I try, I can’t manage to select a circle over the iris.  I am a beginner with affinity and need directions from step 1.  Please, can someone help me?  I’m kind of desperate and frustrated.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

8 hours ago, Kellybethga said:

I can’t manage to select a circle over the iris.

I’m surprised the red eye tool had little effect. (See how it works below).

Now to answer your question: Select the image layer. Make sure it’s a pixel layer but if it says image just rasterise it. Use the Selection Persona, choose Smart Selection brush tool, zoom in to iris, and set brush size to around 2 px’s. Now paint over the red. If you select too much just switch to subtract in context menu. Add and subtract as needed. Once selected just tap the  Adjustment Studio and select curves. The effect will be masked to the selected area automatically.🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thanks so much, DM1!  I was able to select and adjust curves.  AND, once I removed the file from affinity photo and re-imported it, the red eye tool actually worked!   I have no idea what I had done to make it NOT work  - on my first try to use the red eye tool when I first imported, I got a slight amount of red eye reduction but not nearly enough.  I believe this falls under the "turn it off and back on" category  of solutions to problems 😀  Now I know how to do it both ways.

I really appreciate your help!!