You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request (Designer and generally): node transformation in context menu and with shift key

I do not like to seek tool icons far away on the screen. I'd like to have more (or better all) available options at my fingertips, preferably in a context menu (especially on Windows desktop).

This should be easy to implement, as nothing new has to be programmed but just filled the context menu the same way the tool bars are adapted to the current situation.

What made me write this NOW? Working with nodes, wanting to transform the node type, especially needing handles while improving a SVG icon file, many nodes have to be transformed to smart nodes or back. Focused on the vector object, I'd like to keep my eyes on it.

Additionally for node transformation: (like Inkscape): change a simple node to a node with handles by moving it with a key (which is otherwise unused, in Inkscape SHIFT) pressed; this "draws out" a first handle or a second handle.

Or did I miss something already existing in Affinity Desinger?

Hi Tritus, welcome to the forum.

There are quite a few modifier keys for working with nodes,  so hopefully you can find a workflow that works for you.

Hover over a node (with the node tool) and the status bar will show you what you can do.

For creating node handles I usually just grab the line with the node tool and drag it. New handles are created and can then be tweaked accordingly.

On Window the right mouse button is used as a modifier to change node to a smooth node. I don't find this the easiest operation as the left click right click has to be done pretty quickly. Not sure why Alt + Click couldn't toggle between Sharp and Smooth - but I digress!

Also worth watching a tutorial or two about the pen and node tools.

This one might be a good bet...

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro