You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to lock the bounding box in place?

I am in the process of making seamless patterns, where I need to edit objects along the "seam". I am able lock the size of an object but not the x and y position, which is frustrating because of how easy it is to accidentally move an object when editing the vectors shape. I am not referring to locking the layer, as I still need to edit the object. Is there a way to lock the x and y position? 

Another issue pertaining to the issue above is how sensitive and jumpy the program is when entering values and selecting layers is there a setting I can adjust? 

Other then the two issues above, I love the program. Wish there was an integrated tracing function so I can completely ditch Adobe once and for all, hopefully that happens someday. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @JennHams. :)

2 hours ago, JennHams said:

I am not referring to locking the layer, as I still need to edit the object.

Contrary to many users’ expectations, locking the layer does exactly what you need here: it only prevents you from transforming (i.e. moving, rotating or resizing) the layer, so you can still edit it otherwise.

Edit: Sorry, I read your OP too quickly, so I missed the important detail about editing the shape of a vector; you can edit other attributes of a locked layer such as the fill, stroke and filter effects, but you can’t edit the nodes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Unfortunately when editing the nodes it is super easy to move the position of the objects out of place, this makes making repeat pattern projects or other seamless projects very cumbersome as they have to be precise. If this is something that can be added in an update, it would be much appreciated. Is there something in preferences that I may be missing? I am wondering if there is a preference to turn off selecting an object by tapping on it, requiring the user to use the toolbar instead. This would keep the object in place when editing nodes. When clicking on an object if you click on where a node is the node tool is selected, if you click anywhere else on an object the selection tool is selected and this is something that could be an easy option to incorporate in preferences. 

Thanks!