You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to edit with "Edit in Affinity Photos" extension

I am on a Mac running MacOS 11.2.2 and using the latest version of Photos on the Mac as well as Affinity Photo 1.9.1. When I use the "Edit in Affinity Photo" extension in Apple Photos, Affinity Photo launches and I can do my edits. (I'm pixelating a photo.) Then, I select "Save" in Affinity Photo and close the window, and then am faced with a window from Photos that lets me "Save Changes". When I click on this action, I get the error "Unable to edit with "Edit in Affinity Photo" / An unexpected error occurred.

I saw some topics on this from a few years ago, but can't find anything recent and also have not been able to resolve this. I've restarted the computer several times and ensured I have latest versions of software.

Am I doing this process of using the extension correctly? Can anyone help me resolve this?

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 7.02.19 AM.png

• 4 weeks later...

There are some hit and miss work arounds, some of which work for some not for others. Sometimes but not always. Even more frustrating is the fact that this bug, which seems to be an all but permanent feature of the Edit in Affinity Photo mode, affects some users but not others. Who, why and when ...... good question.

Are you using the extension correctly? Probably yes.

Is the extension responding correctly? See error message above.

I'm not sure it is a bug as much as poor explanation and user misunderstanding. I figured out how to make it work. But, now can't remember what I did...

It had something to do with the order of saving and quitting, etc. I'll try to recreate the steps and comment.

Edited by bmtndog
Fix error in solution

Here is what worked for me. Select the photo in Photos, click edit and then select Edit in Affinity Photo. Use any of the tools there. Then Share that edited image with Photos. You won't modify the original, but will have a second copy in Photos that has the edits.