You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I've been using a friends Mac with Adobe Illustrator to create simple graphics that I upload to icomoon and then download as fonts.

I have to say I'm not comfortable with Adobe Illustrator, I need to buy something for my own use as I can't keep using his Mac and have been looking for something easier to use for some time and for some reason I never noticed Affinity Designer. 

I've download the trial version to see if it works enough for me, I'm happy to learn a new work flow so a different way of doing things is probably an advantage. 

I quickly created a graphic with multiple layers, it was a simple square with a number in it. Took 30 mins or so and I'm happy with what it looks like, so far, so good. AD seems easy to use and my brain doesn't hurt afterwards, which is more than AI ever did for me.

I now try to export an SVG file to import into Icomoon and thats where the frustration starts. I cannot seem to find the right combination of SVG export options  that Icomoon will recognise. With Adobe Illustrator I 'just' exported the SVG file and Icomoon 'just' recognised it and imported it.

The main error message the Icomoon pops up is

"The current version of IcoMoon ignores strokes.

Learn how to convert strokes to fills."

(I can't seem to get this forum to upload an image, perhaps its because I'm a first time poster?)

So I go back into AD, I start working through the various options to get rid of strokes but I cannot seem to find the right combination of options that seems to work. I've spent the last two hours trying to find something that works (and failing miserably).

I've tried to rasterise things, worked through the "More" option in the export SVG box, but can't get anything to work. The closest I get is selecting "Don't export layers hidden by export persona". This gets me something (I can't post the image here) but its just one layer from my multi layered object.

I really don't want to buy Adobe Illustrator as

i) its expensive 

ii) it a PITA to use

iii) I don't need the complexity of AI

iV) I like the look of AD. 

I've searched the forum and can't find anything here, google has drawn a blank.

Any ideas what magic combinations work with Icomoon please?

Thanks for reading this far,

Rob

• Staff

Hi Rob,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have to expand all object's strokes, so they become a shape. To do this select the object that have a stroke and go to menu Layer ▸ Expand stroke.

In other words you can only have shapes with a fill applied and no stroke. It would be nice to have an option to expand strokes on export too. I will raise this with the developers.

post-59-0-69230900-1444242136_thumb.png

Thank you for the prompt and helpful reply.

I actually just found this out for myself and was coming here to post that I'd got the answer  :D

This is the way of the world, you spend hours trying to find out something and the moment you post asking for help, you stumble over the answer. I would like to say it was careful planning and research, but I just stumbled over the answer in another post on this forum.

I have to say I've accomplished more in the last hour with Affinity Designer than I did in days of using AI. 

A great product and I'll now buy it from the app store.

Best wishes and thanks for taking the time to respond.

Rob