You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IPhone photos for websites

I’m building a Weebly website and having trouble converting photos taken on my iPhone. I’m trying to place them into a image gallery. The photos are normally high resolution. I’ve been using Affinity Photo to resize these images to like something 2”x 2” x 72 dpi from the iPhoto which is like 300 dpi which says the size is like 26” x 15”. So, I place these images into AP and I get this huge image that says it zoomed to like 300 plus. In using the resize document and I set it at 72 dpi and 2””x2”” resample. When I place the image into the webpage gallery it is huge and out of focus. Granted, I’m a new AP user, but used Photoshop for many years. I love AP and just need to find how to get this done. By the way, I tried “new batch” option with no luck there. Hope this makes some sense and someone can point the way. Thanks in advance. 

Welcome to the forums @Jim DuBach,

What's throwing you a curve is you're using a print measurement to determine the size for digital/web viewing. As you learned it does not work that way. Inches/Feet, DPI are not and can not be used for web sizing. Web/Digital screens are measured in Pixels, nothing more or less.

How large are the iPhone images, in mega-pixels? That is the total size, not inches. I regularly open my RAW images, and view them on my screens. The resolution of them are such if I chose to print them, I could make prints that are roughly 6 feet x 4 feet. My PC monitors are not that large. My RAW files are 20.17Mp, are in 3:2 ratio, they open in APhoto at 5,496px X 3,670px.<---Do the math and it equals the file size of 20.17 mega pixels.

So open one of your images in Aphoto. Make sure you can view the Rulers. If not, go to the View menu>View Rulers. What unit of measurement is being displayed? Inches, or Pixels. You can change that by right-clicking in the left-upper corner of the rulers, where it is telling the units.

On your website what's the dimensions in pixels of that 2x2 inch area? Something like 125-200px?

I've attached 3 files, each resized to be around 2". One of the images was resampled at 300dpi and the screen resolution for it to be 2" is 600px. The DPI is considering the image for print. Are you intending on visitors to your website to download and print them? If so then you should maintain a high resolution. Other than that, forget about DPI.

2inch no-resample 72dpi-200px.jpg

2inch resample at 300dpi-600x400px.jpg

200px resize test.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Tanks for the info. I pretty much understand what your saying and I mentioned 2" x 2" (and I should have typed px) only because there is no info on the size of Weebly's "Gallery" so I was somewhat guessing. So, maybe you can better help if I give you my webpage address and a photo I resized. The original size was 1696 X 3328 pixels x 72 Res.

http://bachswoodcraft.com/toothpick-holders.html

Toothpick open 106 1.jpg