You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer locks up when exporting object with stroke to pdf

Ekjmss

I have this slightly complicated vector object (a map of the US) that I want to export with an outline. The file exports just fine to pdf with no stroke, and exporting to png doesn't seem to cause any problems either, even with the stroke.

However, if I try to export after adding a stroke to the object, the app just "locks up". I can still click on things (although with no effect), so its not exactly a crash, but I'm not getting the usual exporting status bar, so I figure something is wrong. Copying the object to a new file doesn't help either. See the attached file. Designer version 1.9.0.932.

Edit: small edit to clarify it's a stroke and not an outline (effect).

untitled.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Ekjmss,

Thanks for the file. I've been able to export that out without a problem. I don't get a progress bar because its extremely quick, but not getting anything hanging and can still interact and draw new objects. I tried it both with and without the Pixel Layer visible and that doesn't make a difference.

Are you able to attach a screenshot showing the PDF export settings you're using please? 

Hi Sean, thanks for looking into this.

When exporting without a stroke it is extremely quick on my system as well, so I don't get the progress bar. The pixel layer is not strictly related to the error, but I added it in order to trigger the progress bar – it shows up when I export with both the "mainland" (no stroke) and pixel layer visible.

However, when I add the stroke to the mainland layer I don't get the progress bar, even with the pixel layer, and everything hangs. Also, it seems that it is just the current file that freezes, and I can still close the file (I even get the prompt to save it) and carry on as usual.

I've attached my export settings. I think it's just the default PDF for print. (Not shown is embedding "all fonts", as well as "subset fonts" and "allow advanced features" checked")

image.png.79d2f7e3ff9fbc9e1fac4773afee76fc.png