You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Margins appear in pdf when exporting

Hello,

When I export my Affinity Publisher work to pdf, additional margins are created. The additional margins have the effect of shrinking my work that was previously set-up perfectly on the page. I used page margins on the masters to set out my text frames. I can now export with or without margins, with or without bleed, and I ALWAYS get this additional margin added on like padding when trying to print. Other pdfs don't have this issue when printing. It's like Affinity is adding hidden print padding- even when 'include margins' is unticked. Adjusting the print settings removes the print margins upto this padding but no further- I can shrink to fit etc but that doesn't remove the padding. The padding is real- print actual size includes the padding. Changing pages per page to print always includes this additional padding. I want to export it without that padding. The padding is similarly sized to my original margin- it's almost like I have my margin framed with another margin just for printing, which doesn't appear in Affinity publisher or pdf, until printing.

Has anyone got any idea what I am talking about here? Happy to upload file- instruction manual <1MB

TIA

brightMESH Product Guide- Installation of Tiles.afpub brightMESH Product Guide- Installation of Tiles.pdf

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, JackBrownbeard said:

I have the same problems

What are your "same" problems in detail?

The two documents in the first post of this thread uploaded by the OP don't show differing page sizes in APub versus its exported PDF, also the .afpub has no bleed set. Additionally it is not clear if the issue occurs in the PDF after export – or whether it is an issue of a printed result only. Thus it might be independent of .afpub or pdf but rather be related to print software settings, the printing hardware or the printer driver. So maybe this initial post was not answered because the issue was not clear to the forums community.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I open an existing PDF file in Affinity Designer end edit something and re-export this file as PDF without things like bleed and co. Just the pure and unchanged workspace. However, I get a larger workspace in the output by a few pixels on the bottom and right side.

I don't have that phenomenon when I go the same way in Illustrator, for example. I have had this problem several times with Affinity Designer sometimes it appears sometimes not.

I have made several tests. Also once where I just turned everything off in the advanced export options. However, I always get unwanted free space at the bottom and right. 

Screen-01-raw.png

Screen-02-export.png

Settings-01.png

Settings-02.png

01.png

02.png

03.png

I don't think it is caused by specific export settings. Your layout detail screenshots don't tell any unit / dimension, so I can't see what size the additional space is. There is a discussion about imperfect page dimension precision of exported PDFs, maybe it is relevant for your case:

Or may be thread meets your issue; it is also related to pixel vs. vector. Since it's older and various app updates happened meanwhile you could start reading on page 2 (in 2020):

For further community help it would be useful if you upload an affected sample file, ideally a causing PDF + imported in an Affinity document + an exported PDF.

P.S.: Note that AI can handle PDF different than Affinity, it even may save its own file format into a PDF and so when opening those files it has access to different data than Affinity.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1