You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean operation and compound: bug?

I am relying on the instruction tutorial:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/394926096/

In it I learn that shapes can be combined in two layers via 'add'. You can apparently create compounds by clicking the 'add' button again?

That's not how it works for me (version AD 1.9). When I click on the 'add' button again nothing happens.

I can create the compound by going to Layer / create compound.

So, the instructional video might be not really OK?

But there is another strange thing.

If I'm using two different colors and I'm doing Xor then I would think it would make sense to keep the two different colors, but that's not the case.

Can you give me your view on that? Thanks for that in advance.

Schermafbeelding 2021-02-09 om 11.49.48.png

Schermafbeelding 2021-02-09 om 11.51.08.png

2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

You can apparently create compounds by clicking the 'add' button again?

No.
When you select two objects, you have to option-click the button.

2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

If I'm using two different colors and I'm doing Xor then I would think it would make sense to keep the two different colors, but that's not the case.

I guess that's "by design", as they say…
I.e. that's how the math works.

If you want to keep the color of each object different, use groups and layer blends.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Just now, Aurelius said:

I still think that it is not logic for the user

The point of compound paths is that they behave as one object. Hence they appear to have one fill.
But in fact the objects inside the compound will retain their original color. If you release the compound, they will be appear as they originally were.
Also, each object can have as many stacked fills and strokes as you want, which you can manage in the Appearance panel.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2