You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo saves TIFF and cannot reopen it

Good day,

I'd like to explain the issue I was affected with. 

I have Lightroom 6.15 and latest version of Affinity Photo installed. Today I did this to prepare panoramic photo:
1) Export photos from camera to Lightroom with standard presets
2) Adjust photos and merge them into one panorama (*.dng file)
3) Choose option "Edit in" that creates copy of the DNG as TIFF in Adobe RGB 16-bit color space and opens this TIFF file in Affinity Photo
4) Add layers and operate on them in Affinity. When the work  was finished I exported panorama as JPG.
5) I wanted to finish work for today so I closed Affinity. Then it asked whether I want to save TIFF with layers. I agreed, progress bar occurred and Affinity closed.
6) I wanted to check how does it look in Lightroom. Unfortunately, Lightroom shows the TIFF in gallery as untouched RAW with no changes made. Additionally it's marked with exclamation and when I want to open it, popup is shown: "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo". I think I understand why - LR doesn't understand Affinity format, and I'm fine with it. But what troubles me, that when I want to open this TIFF again in the Affinity, popup is shown with error message "Failed to open file. The file type is not supported". And this is what I'm afraid. I have big 800MB file that I cannot open with Affinity. I'm afraid that problem will affect other files in the future which is something I cannot afford...

Could you please tell me what (if so) I did wrong and what's the correct way to handle my workflow (LR->Changes->Affinity->Changes->Export to JPG->Save work for the future).
Thank you in advance, if something is unclear please don't hesitate to ask.  Unfortunately I cannot attach the file, as it exceeds 512MB :(
Best regards
Paweł

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Pszczyg,
Welcome to the forums,

I apologise for the delayed response we have been extremely busy with the launch of the 1.9 updates and it seems this post may have fallen through the net.
Please could you try the suggestion found here to see if the file size is the cause? 

Could you also see if you still get this problem using our latest beta build found here? 

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Dear Callum,

No problem - good job with this 1.9, huge load of great new features :)

Unfortunately, the size is not the issue as the file has only about 800 megabytes :( Maybe I can send you the file (but how?) and you will be able to see what happened?

Best regards

Paweł