You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher/Canon PRO-1000: cannot print custom paper size

Hi,

I am evaluating Affinity Publisher for photo album printing with my Canon PRO-1000, but unfortunately cannot get it to print on custom-sized paper. I am using Hahnemühle paper, which is 331mm wide and 305mm high. It seems there is a miscommunication between Publisher and printer regarding the paper size.

Setup and layout of the project in Publisher works fine, the spreads are setup with width=331, height=305 and Portrait NOT checked (see screenshot). In the printing dialogue I have tried two settings, either width=305, height=331 and landscape (see screenshot) or w=331, h=305 and portrait (see other screenshot). The paper goes with its short side forward into the manual tray of the printer. In both cases the printer rejects the print job, saying the paper width does not match (see screenshot).

In both cases it works if I put the paper in with the long edge forward into the manual tray, however then the printed content is turned by 90°, so it is useless. So it seems that Publisher for whatever reason is mixing up the edges when telling the printer what paper size to expect.

It works perfectly fine if I try this with A4 in landscape, for the standard format the settings in Publisher and in the printer driver seem to work together. Only for the custom size it does not work.

Does anyone have a clue on how to solve this?

Regards, Robert

Screenshot - 30_12_2020 , 17_45_12.png

Screenshot - 30_12_2020 , 17_47_14.png

Screenshot - 30_12_2020 , 18_01_17.png

Screenshot - 30_12_2020 , 17_48_54.png

Edited by The Ninth

Hi,

according to your shown screenshots,  in Affinity you defined that as being a landscape format document, aka width=331, height=305 and Portrait NOT checked. - So ...

• why are you going to tell the printer driver, that w=331, h=305 is portrait?
  • or that width=305, height=331 is landscape?

... that's odd and even a printer driver probably knows and realizes that a shorter defined height than width can't be a portrait format, or the other way around a shorter defined width and greater height can't be a landscape format.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi,

I set it this way because then the display of the page in the printer driver and the preview in the Publisher print dialogue is correct.

If I turn it around, i.e. in the printer driver w=305, h=331 and portrait, then the print driver shows it as portrait, and also the Publisher print dialogue shows a mismatch (at least I guess that is what the red area means). See the screenshot below.

1694849808_Screenshot-30_12_202019_24_44.png.aa246f77f239b9899da1384a438fe8f5.png

In any case, even in this setting, the printer rejects the paper again with the same error. It seems whatever I do, Publisher tells the printer to expect a paper that is 331mm measured perpendicular to the printer feed direction and 305mm in the printer feed direction. But the content is then printed 90° to what would fit these measurements.

And it really seems to be an issue with the custom paper size. If I do exactly the same thing with A4 paper, the width/height/portrait/landscape values in all dialogues are set the same way as I do it for the custom paper, and for A4 it works as expected.

Regards, Robert

Edited by The Ninth

Found the issue ... sorry for making a fuss, it seems to have nothing to do with Publisher at all. The paper is punched and scored on one side, and if I feed that side into the printer first, the issue occurs. If I feed the other side into the printer first, it works. So for now it seems the punched holes seem to confuse the printer. Will test this a bit further to verify that this is what really caused the issue.

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Robert

2 hours ago, The Ninth said:

I set it this way because then the display of the page in the printer driver and the preview in the Publisher print dialogue is correct.

If I turn it around, i.e. in the printer driver w=305, h=331 and portrait, then the print driver shows it as portrait, and also the Publisher print dialogue shows a mismatch (at least I guess that is what the red area means).

What I meant more here is, that the Canon printer drivers are usually smart enough to correctly print a landscape format document also the right way in a landscape fashion through their printer driver then, as far as you intentionas wasn't to print like this custom wise. - However, fine you found and solved the problem.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2