Third look on the same text, and unfortunately I now have to take back most of my even reservedly positive comments. On one occasion things go relatively smoothly, the next time there is a total halt (non-responsive CPU processing), and now on more thorough tests on both platforms -- so my initial impression on things looking better with the new Apple chips seems to have been without a basis. Certain problems can be reproduced consistently (like inability of creating a paragraph text style based on insert point context of a specific document), some get mysteriously fixed on restart of the app. One time processing the exactly same task shows activity of all logical CPUs and fast processing, the next time a permanent halt on 12% total CPU usage happens. Last time deletion of the about 2,000 empty pages (after removing hard coded line breaks) took minutes to process but could be done, but when now trying again and letting Publisher "process and do its job" did not pay: a permanent halt was experienced, instead... At some point things finally seem to start  working similarly as with short documents, then comes some trivial task that again puts the app in indeterminate non-responding state. 

non_responsive_01.jpg.d14e7fa38efcf582353cb38bac7d0fac.jpg

non_responsive_02.jpg.41cd7f2897c82e414a7690ad42dc02e1.jpg

Personally I have only used Affinity apps as tools (for sporadic tasks like extracting stuff from PDFs, sketching out initial layouts, etc.) and I like many features of these apps. But I cannot imagine depending on them at this stage of development.

UPDATE: Meanwhile: Processing the same text with 32-bit InDesign CS6 on the same computer: non-responsive for the whole processing time in Task Manager (about 60 seconds), but steadily moving progress indicator within the app, 100% reproducible and reliable, on any computer that meets the system requirements:

non-responding_id_style.jpg.54b7a8149e3af0f56a29f3e335c64e28.jpg