You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer hangs on launch

KeithG34

Hi @SPaceBar. My apologies for the delayed response. Happy New Year to you as well. I've performed a clean install of both my Nvidia graphics driver and my Affinity Designer app just to make sure I'm testing out a fresh start on both. Unfortunately, the app still hangs at the title screen after the "Loading Font" prompt. The next screen appears with a black layout as if it's trying to load but then hangs. I would hate to have to do an entire factory reset to my laptop in order to see if that will fix this. I think I'm at a point where my iPad and Desktop will have to do. I'll just stick with gaming on my laptop, hahaha. I'm still up for any other suggestions but it seems like we may be out of options here. Thanks for your help with this.

Hello @SPaceBar I forgot to mention but I did try running the latest beta and the same thing happened where Affinity Designer just freezes..😕 I didn't think about fonts impacting this. I use a ton of .ttf files and a few .otf files for the different designs I come up with. Do you think I need to just delete all of my fonts to see if that could be the issue? I would hate to loose all those fonts. I always install the fonts once I've downloaded them and just delete the zips. Is there a way to copy all of my fonts and back them up somewhere prior to me testing this out?

Hey @KeithG34 Would you be able to force your laptop to generate a dump? We can take a look and pass that on to the development. Here is what you need to do - when your laptop hangs follow these steps:

1. Go to Task Manager
  2. Richt-click Designer.exe
  3. Click 'Create Dump file'
  4. Attach it here.

Checking for a corrupt font / Backing up your fonts

Backing up all of your fonts can be a bit tricky as the fonts folder also contains the system fonts. A better thing to do is to check what you have installed recently:

1. Go to C:\Windows\ 
  2. Look for the Font folder
  3. Make a local copy of the Font folder
  4. Sort the local Font folder by date
  5. Check for fonts installed around the time the issue started
  6. Uninstall them from the normal Windows fonts folder
  7. Try booing the app again

I hope this works out for you. 👍