You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible Memory Leak - Photo Merge

James.IV

Alright, so I have been working on a project of mine, that involves producing a final image that is going to be 81,600 x 131,072 (yes it's really that large, long story), that is made up of a ton of smaller images (that are around 9600x9344). Well I have been running into a problem where I export the photo as a JPEG (which thank you by the way, Photoshop doesn't like this), I have issues with creases appearing between all the images that are being combined. So I went and tried to merge the images together, to hopefully stop that. Big mistake.

This ended up bricking my computer. I have tried different combinations, as small as just 3 of them. The second I start the process, I watch my memory usage shoot through the roof, capping out at 64 GB (it consumes almost 50 GB of my RAM in the one case of just doing 3).

Now I am no expert of this stuff, but to me this feels like it shouldn't be happening. No I can't currently release the photo, sorry, it's for a "secret" project we'll call it. If it's not, I apologize but to me this seems off.

• Staff

Hi @James.IV
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If i understood you correctly, you are seeing thin lines between the images that compose the whole image. Is that correct? If so make sure the X,Y coordinates of each image are on integer values (to get them properly pixel aligned). Enabling Force Pixel Alignment in the main toolbar (in the Snapping section - it's the first icon on the magnet icon group) ensures your images/layer always snap to integer pixel values when you move/transform them (make sure Move By Whole Pixels is disabled otherwise the decimal parts are kept when you move the images/layers). Note this setting (Force Pixel Alignment) only affects new edits - it doesn't fix previously misaligned images. To quickly fix them simply drag/re-align each one a bit to force them to snap to whole pixel values (rather than fixing the X,Y coordinates in the Transform panel by hand).

Regarding the memory usage is there any chance you can provide the afphoto file with just the 3 parts/images that are bricking the system? I can provide an upload link to send the file directly to us if you don't want to post the file publicly on the forums. Your description alone may be not enough - are these pixels layer, images layers (placed images), what's the document format 16, 32 bit...