You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik Collection 3.0 and Smart Objects - Re-edit the applied Nik Filter

I have Affinity photo latest v of 1.8 and DxO labs / nik collection 3.0

What are the proper steps / How do i create a smart object using Nik filter in Photoshop Elements so i can re-edit the Nik Fillter in Affinity Photo? I assume the smart object has to be created in a photoshop like app.

What I've done so far 

- Opened a raw file in Elements 2019

- Applied a Nik filter (say Analog - Camera 4)

- Saved the file as a PSD file

- Dragged (not open) the psd file to the affinity photo software - blank page 

- I selected the layer, then Affinity filter - Nik - Analog

- The Nik app opens for further editing but the the settings are not the same as the Camera 4 (or any filter preset) but is close. I can re-apply stuff and/or perform further edits

- But it is not the same as double clicking the nik filter layer and re-edit the exact same preset settings w/in the Nik filter tool the 1st time around; Doing a Nik filter in Affinity photo and re-selecting for edit does similar behavior

- The goal is to re-edit the exact same nik filter settings again (e.g., i want to make some subtle changes based on the print) 

- Since Affinity Photo 1.8 supports smart objects and since all of the Nik webinars show doubling clicking the Photoshop Nik filter as a smart object to make changes to the existing applied Nik filter, there has to be a way to do similar (re-edit the same Nik Filter settings) in Affinity Photo .. whether i have to use a photoshop tool ish (elements) or something else to get this to work

• Staff

Hi Rtroys,

It sounds like you are already doing the best workflow for this. It would be difficult for me to say why the settings are different in our app perhaps this issue is best raised with DxO.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.