You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Mask editing

Hi there

Would anyone know how to edit an already existing shape mask in Publisher?

I have a rectangle that is acting as a mask for an image. Suppose I want to modify the rectangle mask so I can expand/shrink it without affecting the actual masked asset, what should I do?

My process is unseating the asset, which brings the image and the rectangle at the same layer hierarchy/level, editing the mask rectangle and then nesting the asset back into the rectangle mask.

This is a little annoying and I was wondering what am I missing as this process tends to be a little lame.

Thanks

Click once on the icon (not the name) in the mask layer. Just the mask will be highlighted in the layer list,  and selected in the document. You can then adjust the mask using the handles, without affecting the size or position of the image.

1916215121_Screenshot2020-09-10at08_05_51.png.5fd8106c2d8175b2ee27e0ab0f93d2fc.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Thanks for the answer

I don't see the handles after following your instructions. I see them disappear as soon as I click on the mask layer icon.

Also I don't see the little vector crop tool icon inside the Mask (Rectangle) mask layer.

Not sure what's going on

I also noticed you can't do the same when using a vector mask.

Thanks

OK, the vector mask that you have chosen applies an effect to the image when nested as in your screen grab. Try selecting the mask in the layer. list, then dragging the Gradient tool over it:

708313101_Screenshot2020-09-10at16_16_23.png.f86cb1cc055c1cf6f6f3ae70c84d8f3b.png

If the vector mask is at the top of the layer list, rather than nested, it will affect the entire page:

1302219447_Screenshot2020-09-10at16_20_34.png.e1e8f47f906e75df8f4eaa082cf3d05e.png

I'm not sure this is what you want though? In my original example, I drew a Rectangle (not a vector mask) and nested it in the image layer.  If you just want to crop an area from the linked pdf, you can use a similar rectangle ("Layer Clipping" in the help files) or the Vector Crop tool:

1305028491_Screenshot2020-09-10at16_23_10.png.47b86ee0f782825aa7c3a46b3ceb0066.png       895874014_Screenshot2020-09-10at16_23_34.png.3acb9200b30955361c9ec076e3f74885.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

wow, I didn't know about the Vector Crop Tool. I had my pdf selected and after clicking on it it showed me exactly what I wanted; handles to modify my mask. Yay.

For the record I tried 'use a similar rectangle ("Layer Clipping" in the help files)' but couldn't quite make it work. The above ^ works but if you can clarify how to make the rectangle work that'll be great as I think reusing existing shapes is more of what I usually do.

Thanks again

14 minutes ago, gegagome said:

if you can clarify

Hope so...

Draw a rectangle on the page (I've coloured mine red to make it clearer).

In the layer list, drag the Rectangle thumbnail over the right-hand end of the image thumbnail.

You'll see a highlighted rectangle just to the right of the image thumbnail.

Release the rectangle, select it in the layer list, and adjust its handles:

Hope it helps!