You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy piece of image with copy(option) drag function like PS

I have a graphic that I'd like to erase some of the text.  It's basically text on a white background.  I'd like to simply drag a marquee around some of the white area, and option drag that to the area over the text to cover it with a copy of the area. Kind of photoshop 101.  I understand if the hot keys aren't the same, but I can't figure a way to do this.  Copy and paste pastes the area to a new layer which I don't want.  When I just drag the area, it moves the area, but leaves a hole.  I'd like to move a copy of the area.

Sometimes I do this over and over in PS to "erase" something or repeat a background area.  It's kind of similar to using the stamp tool, but more efficient for big chunky areas that don't need feathering.  But you could feather the selection if needed.

• Staff

Hi bretwilliams,

Use one of the selection tools to select your area to use as a cover, now press CMD + J (Duplicate). Now switch to the Move Tool (V) and move the selection over what you wish to cover, it will be on a separate layer.

You can also try using the Inpainting Tool to get remove the text.