You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo crash on startup - even installer (Windows)

I couldn't launch Photo the other day, it kept crashing to the desktop - not even the icon would show up.  I wondered if uninstalling and reinstalling would help... it didn't.  I downloaded the installer and it won't launch either - though this does show the icon in the taskbar for a second or so.

I read the FAQ and have the latest nVidia drivers installed.

There is no log file entry, but the 3 messages below show up in Event Viewer each time I try.  Any ideas?

Application: SetupUI.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArithmeticException

Exception Info: System.OverflowException
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap.FinalizeCreation()
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap..ctor(System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource, System.Windows.Media.ColorContext, System.Windows.Media.ColorContext, System.Windows.Media.PixelFormat)
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.FinalizeCreation()
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.EndInit()
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage..ctor(System.Uri, System.Net.Cache.RequestCachePolicy)
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage..ctor(System.Uri)
   at SetupUI.MainWindow.UpdateImage()
   at SetupUI.MainWindow.OnLoaded(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEvent)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.LoadedOrUnloadedOperation.DoWork()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.Resize(System.Windows.Media.ICompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.OnResize()
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

Faulting application name: SetupUI.exe, version: 1.8.3.641, time stamp: 0x5e833287
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.329, time stamp: 0xa2224bb6
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00129862
Faulting process id: 0x9558
Faulting application start time: 0x01d645e3124f2053
Faulting application path: C:\Users\jonat\AppData\Local\Temp\AffinitySetup\4f78efa4-b1d6-11ea-8060-9cebe8e792a7\SetupUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: a0637cdf-bf7a-4493-8330-81c1b5cc9fc4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: SetupUI.exe, version: 1.8.3.641, time stamp: 0x5e833287
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.329, time stamp: 0xa2224bb6
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00129862
Faulting process id: 0x9558
Faulting application start time: 0x01d645e3124f2053
Faulting application path: C:\Users\jonat\AppData\Local\Temp\AffinitySetup\4f78efa4-b1d6-11ea-8060-9cebe8e792a7\SetupUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 5100e5ce-65c1-46e6-839f-7294f05e409d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Edited by BoxOfSnoo

• Staff

Welcome to the forum BoxOfSnoo :)

Sometimes a colour profile assigned to your display(s) can be corrupted and cause .NET to crash and stop our installer from working. Can try temporarily unticking Use my settings for this device in Colour Management and try installing Affinity again. If that works, let us know - we would like to get a copy of the colour profile listed within Colour Management to see if we can fix it from our end.

I look forward to hearing from you.

7 hours ago, Leigh said:

Welcome to the forum BoxOfSnoo :)

Sometimes a colour profile assigned to your display(s) can be corrupted and cause .NET to crash and stop our installer from working. Can try temporarily unticking Use my settings for this device in Colour Management and try installing Affinity again. If that works, let us know - we would like to get a copy of the colour profile listed within Colour Management to see if we can fix it from our end.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for a quick response and welcome!

There was no custom profile - i.e. the box is already unticked.  However!

I looked on the Advanced tab, and the Device profile said "scRGB virtual device model profile" (It might have been sRGB instead of scRGB, I was too quick to change it I guess).  I changed this to "System default (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)" and the installer worked!  Now the application also launches fine!

I would send you the profile but I'm not sure where to find it.

Thank you for your help.

• 5 months later...