You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Language-independent symbols for Welcome and for Thank you for visiting

Language-independent symbols for Welcome and for Thank you for visiting

Some time ago there was available on Google street view some views of the foyer of MoMA, the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

There was a sign that had

Thank you for visiting

in English and the same message in several other languages.

Yet there are many languages, and I wondered if a symbol that would have the same meaning in all languages would be good. Also a symbol for Welcome.

The designs used in this thread are available in the following font in the Private Use Area at U+E921 for Welcome and U+E922 for Thank you for visiting.

This link is included for completeness, readers may use it if they wish, but the idea of this thread is to use the svg files.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/LOCSE977.TTF

I am hoping to produce PDF files for each symbol in four sizes, A4, A3, Letter, Ledger.

So I decided to start by making two svg files, one for each message, at a large size with transparent background such that could be used directly in A3 and Ledger sizes an at 70% in A4 and Letter sizes.

So, 5 inches high by 15 inches wide seems a good size to try.

Here are the two svg files.

William

There are issues over application of these files in Affinity Publisher. New versions of the files may need to be produced, or maybe the problem is not in these files.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/117718-at-what-size-is-a-placed-svg-file-placed-please/

Welcome.svg Thank_you_for_visiting.svg

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I have now decided to leave svg use until the problem is resolved, and produce PDF documents from the 15 inch by 5 inch designs directly by copy and paste from the .afpub files that I had produced and used to generate the svg files, then centring the pasted copy, scaling for the two smaller ones.

Yet when I come to exporting as a PDF I need to choose which format to use from the nine choices available. The idea is to put the PDFs on the web in the hope that people will print some of  them using ordinary printers that might be available in a museum or art gallery attached to ahn ordinary computer.

Advice welcome please.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.