You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!

I like to do my first composite training picture, but I've got a huge problem. How can I composite these two pictures preserving the ring ropes? If I just selecting the monk from another picture and just copy it to a ring picture (I have an idea the monk is sitting in the middle of a ring) that goes to straight on the ropes which look like the monk is levitating front of the ring.  :wacko:

post-15435-0-50712100-1438539540_thumb.png

post-15435-0-26264300-1438539553_thumb.png

Hi,

So bit tricky because of the angle of the ring, once you've cut out the monk and placed it within the ring created another pixel layer and then use the clone tool to clone the rope i've used the middle in this example to paint the rope back over the monk, I had to mask the the clone layer and paint back anything outside of the rope, if you do a good job of  cloning with a small soft brush you might be ok. Then I duplicated the monk and added a colour overlay from the layer effects with some gaussian blur to create a shadow and reduced opacity, then I added a lighting filter.

Just a quick attempt, will get better results if you spend more time, this was jus a minute or two...

Allan

post-9020-0-92540200-1438542011_thumb.jpg

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

What i've done so far is that I had open these two pictures. Then I used quick selection tool for a monk and copying it to ring picture. I had resize this monk same size with a ring. Now I have one original ring picture layer and just a pixel layer of the monk. What's next?

try changing in the option from Current layer to Current layer and below once the clone tool is selected, create a layer above the monk an use that layer to paint back in the ring.

post-9020-0-79678100-1438544467_thumb.png

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

What i've done so far is that I had open these two pictures. Then I used quick selection tool for a monk and copying it to ring picture. I had resize this monk same size with a ring. Now I have one original ring picture layer and just a pixel layer of the monk. What's next?

Create a pixel layer and use the clone tool to sample the rope and paint over the monk... and change the option from Current layer to Current layer and below

That current layer and below works and I can clone that rope now. This just leave ugly painting around the rope, so do I need to choose  this layer and and right click and mask below? Next select eraser and swipe these away or something? 

post-15435-0-31642600-1438545895_thumb.png

Ok, your hardness is set to 80% you need that on 0% first of all when cloning in this case. If you spend more time cloning being precise it would yield better results. Once done cloning, mask that pixel layer, then select the mask and use the brush tool with black selected as the foreground colour to paint out anything you don't like, might be better off zooming in a bit. A bit of time and patience and you'll get a good result. You re heading in the right direction...

Allan

Why I need to mask that pixel layer? And how to do it? Just selected the pixel layer and press "layer" "new mask layer"? Is it better than just zoom much and swipe these bad areas with eraser? And at the end, how you can just select this monk to changing it colors because there is now the ropes on it? 

Here is my picture without masks and both ropes are separated their own layers. I Think that your mask trick might be better than this, but the question is why? I just want to use best solution.

post-15435-0-32961200-1438548706_thumb.png

Here is a screen shot... Select the layer the press the mask layer icon.

I cant see any pic attached...... If you erase you are erasing the pixels. It is an option, try for results, the problem is if you make a mistake you have to undo rather then just press X if using the mask to switch the foreground colour to white to paint back in if you erased too much, this is the better of the two. 

If you've  done it correctly and followed the steps the Monk, the ring and the cloned ropes are all on their own layers so you can colour correct just the monk

post-9020-0-78457600-1438549154_thumb.png

Ok I can see it now..

I would be very glad if you can give me some short video material or something that shows me every detail step by step. From all these great videos i've watched in here teaching me much more than trying to following instructions. This whole thing is completely new world for me and I understand the main purposes of layers and masks, but in practice I don't know nothing about them. I have no any idea what you have done in your layers.

No, thats just the mask from me cutting it out.

duplicate the monk layer and add a colour overlay from the layer effects with some gaussian blur to create a shadow and reduce opacity, and resize and move in to place.

post-9020-0-67341500-1438629044_thumb.png

post-9020-0-88841700-1438629056_thumb.png