You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint brush tool on a Vector Image (no colour)

Hi! I'm new to Affinity Designer and I've been teaching myself online as best as I can as I'm kind of new to illustration too (done it briefly in college and now coming back to it and learning from scratch!)

I feel it may be a silly question, but I cannot figure out despite various google/forum searches etc. and I think I've maybe overlooked the answer somewhere.

So, I have a vector image which I have made. I have then wanted to add a splatter effect INSIDE the shape I created. I've gone into Pixel Persona, added a mask layer and selected my brush. When I begin using the brush, it is inside the shape but there is no colour, it is almost transparent or the majority of the time, it is white. 

I need the splatter to be in colour to create my desired image, but despite numerous attempts of masks, merging, ruining brush settings and changing the mode of the layer, I cannot get it to go into colour.  Does anyone know how to do this? I'm in a bind and it's becoming very frustrating.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Edited by loubobo

• 2 months later...

Thank you!  I am also new to Affinity Designer and trying to learn from the video tutorials.  I could pixel paint over a vector object on the iPad with the brush strokes constrained within the bounds of the vector object.  However, on Mac the pixel layer overflowed.  Watching this short video helped make the Layer changes so it worked.  I had spent over an hour of frustration getting nowhere until I found your video.