You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: How can I change the colour throughout?

Hi

I have a file with 1500 icons, they have two colours. I want to recolour both those colours as I can in Illustrator. I've added the colours to my palette, but if I change them it doesn't change them in the document. Any idea how in Designer?

Kind regards
William

Okay let's say they are orange and blue and I want to change them to pink and purple. There are 1500 icons in the documents and instead of selecting all the orange bits I want to change everything that's orange to pink as I can do in Illustrator. - Thanks.

Screenshot 2020-04-23 13.03.01.png

If you have coloured them with Global Colours then you can change a Global Colour by selecting it in the Swatches Panel, then switch to the Colours Panel and pressing the Edit Global Colour button.
P.S. Your icons use three colours, overall: orange; blue; and what looks like black (not including the background white).

Hi

Thanks, they are already Global colours, I never coloured them, I imported a document from Illustrator that had these colours, I added them to the Swatches panel and made them global, when I change the colours they do NOT change the colours on the elements.

I'm not sure what the colour itself has to do with anything though? I don't wish to change any of the other colours, was just wondering if Affinity had to the option to do what Illustrator could do, or whether I'd have to unfortunately go back to Illustrator.

Thanks.

If you created the Global Colours after importing the icons then, to use those Global Colours, you would need to recolour each coloured part of each icon using the relevant Global Colour. In other words, Global Colours don’t work retrospectively.
If you don’t want to do this then there may be other methods but I will have to play around and try to find a good one for this situation.
Do you have the RGB values of the pink and purple yet, and which colour do you want to change to which?
The particular colours might matter, or they might not, but it’s often better to have more information than less.

One simple method would be to group all of the icons that use blue together, and group all of the icons that use orange together, then apply a different Recolour Adjustment to each group. However, that would only work if you were recolouring using only the Hue and Saturation values with no Lightness change (as that would also affect the black). See attached video.
Maybe there’s a better way.