You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gaps between paragraphs at the end of a column

I can't seem to get rid of the Gaps between paragraphs at the end of a column. I have tried tweaking every setting I can think of, the "keep" settings, spacing between paragraphs. I've turned on the special characters to see maybe if I just missed some hard returns or column jump inserts...etc. I can't figure it out and it is driving me crazy. Please help!

I have attached one example of such a gap. 

gaps in columns issue.jpg

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand what the "gap" under discussion is.  The large area at the bottom of the first column is almost certainly due to a cascade of "keep with next" or "column break" attributes on the paragraphs that flowed to the second column.  Are you asking about that, or about some much more subtle gap between paragraphs within the 1st column?

3 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand what the "gap" under discussion is.  The large area at the bottom of the first column is almost certainly due to a cascade of "keep with next" or "column break" attributes on the paragraphs that flowed to the second column.  Are you asking about that, or about some much more subtle gap between paragraphs within the 1st column?

Thank you for taking the time to look, and you were right. It's a good example of when I should stop and take a nap rather than go on looking at a problem when the answer is right in front of my face. I was on the right track, looking at the sections you had mentioned. It turned out to be the settings for widows and orphans, but I tried to changing them universally for all paragraphs of that style (normal) thinking that would solve the problem and it didn't. Or maybe I just was doing everything wrong. Either way, I should have honed in on those paragraphs and changed it there. 

5 hours ago, Wosven said:

An example file would be more usefull!

Perhaps some paragraphs are set to keep with the next one? Did you use Text styles or did the formatting locally? This way, you can have unwanted properties on your paragraphs.

You were right, although I tried to fix it with a universal change to the paragraph formatting style rather than locally, and that was my mistake. When that didn't work, I tried highlighting the paragraphs and stripping out the styles but it didn't change it, so I incorrectly assumed I was entirely stuck.