You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mask to Below Not Working (User Error?)

Hi,

I'm trying to create a gradient mask so that a raster image has full color on its left edge and fades to white on its right edge. Trying to follow the docs (pasted below) is not working for me. I suspect I'm missing something obvious. I've demonstrated what I'm doing (and the lack of any result at all) in a 10 second snagit video. Any help appreciated.

10 sec video -- attached or  via dropbox here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2axrv0e1a43e6e/2020-04-08_15-05-19.mp4?dl=0

-hb

docs say:

To add a vector mask:

1. Draw a filled vector object, e.g., a line or shape, which is to be your mask.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • In the Layers panel, drag the created object entry directly onto the thumbnail of another 'target' object.
    • -click the object and select Mask to Below, if the object to be masked is directly below the masking object.

The thumbnail of the target object changes to indicate that a mask and crop have been applied.

The mask of the object is applied in a "crop to top object" operation.

The alpha, not the luminosity, of a mask object modulates the alpha of the masked object. Your masking gradient is fully opaque and covers all of the masked object, so none of the masked object becomes hidden. You would need to use a transparency gradient for the mask's fill.

The apps come with a couple of predefined transparency gradients in the Gradients palette, which will provide an example.

Alternatively, in Designer and Publisher only, there is the Transparency Tool (wine glass icon) for applying a transparency gradient directly to an object, instead of using a mask.