You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides manager can't add new guide by typing

As a new user, I have been watching tutorial videos on YouTube.

One video shower the user (on an Apple laptop) directly entering new guidelines in the Guides manager by typing. On my Windows 10 desktop, I can only enter guidelines by dragging from the ruler, and then amending to the position I want by editing the newly added line.

Unsure if this is a bug, or a feature not implement in the Windows version.

I tried it on Ver 1.8.2, and now 1.8.3 with the same issue.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Indefensible.

As a hint for the future, it will often help if you give us the URL of the YouTube (or other) video you're watching, so we can see exactly what you saw, and the approximate timecode where you saw it.

For now, I'll take a guess :)

In my screenshot of the Guides Manager, you would first click on the Add New Guide icon (marked), which then inserts a Guide at an application-determined location. You then click on the inserted Guide location to make it editable, and type the value you want.

image.png.dfa9bf68c109b2d1ab1a02e5cb3e7ca5.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt

I have gone through my watch history, and can't find what I thought I saw, so possibly I made a mistake. I am also a former user of a much older version of CorelDraw, in which I could do type guides directly.

Over the past week, I looked a numerous vid's of different options, so I surmise that I must of misunderstood what app i was looking at.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer, and I will use your technique. I hadn't thought of using the add line that way because it defaulted to 50%, 25% etc. and it didn't occur to me to edit it from there. I was dragging from the ruler, close to the final position and then editing.

Thanks for your help

You're welcome. Note, too, that you can turn off the % option and get values in px, if you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1