You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo and Designer crashing and font issues after update to 1.8.0.585

Windows 10 Pro 1909, Affinity Photo\Designer 1.8.0.585, Microsoft Surface Book 2

I worked on a file for about an hour this afternoon after updating Photo and Designer.  After I saved my file in Photo and got home from work, I opened the file and the fonts were all different.  Every font I selected would bounce to another font and I couldn't select the one I wanted.  After closing and reopening, the application started crashing on launch.  I tried to uninstall and reinstall Photo and the crashing is still happening. I tried to select Yes when it asked if I wanted to enable error reporting but I'm not sure it even gets time to send anything since it crashes very fast still.  I tried holding Ctrl to get the clear data dialog and tried just Reset Font Replacements.  That did not solve the issue and the crashing resumed on following attempts.  So I checked the first three as I saw on another thread and that reset all my tool bar preferences and stuff but the font thing is still happening and it's crashing seemingly randomly.  Designer is experiencing the same crashing and font issues when I manage to get it running.

On the first run after I cleared the first three items on the clear data dialog, the application hung when I tried the Frame Text Tool.

Faulting application name: Photo.exe, version: 1.8.0.585, time stamp: 0x5e53c534
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.657, time stamp: 0x64d10ee0
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f92a9
Faulting process id: 0x618
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5ecfaf5f7ebca
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Photo.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: b9796acb-90ce-42a3-baaf-7335e091c437
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I'm kind of regretting upgrading right now since I have things to work on.  If there is any other diagnostic information I can provide or troubleshooting steps to perform please do let me know! Thank you.

Edited by laskop

Same issue here! All the fonts are messed up on a Win10 desktop PC (in all three apps) and I had to re-install the previous version. Fonts keep switching back and forth, preview is not matching the font name or font name not matching the font itself. I upgraded the apps on a Win10 laptop - everything works perfect! 

• Staff

Hi @laskop, @cpadier and @dkriznik

I can't replicate a crash when selecting fonts on my Windows Pc.  Would you all be able to check this post and see if you have any crash reports in the mentioned folder and attach them here?

If you can also give me the exact steps you are taking, click by click, just to make sure i'm not missing anything when trying to replicate the issue.

I have several crash reports from yesterday.  I will attach them, including the one I just got now as I was going through the steps to reproduce for you.

Basically, if the app even does load seemingly correctly:

I start a new document (doesn't matter what size),

choose the Artistic Text tool,

Type a few words, and immediately the default font is wrong does not match the font that is named in the font selection box in the toolbar.  Also the previews in the font drop down may not match.

On the one occasion I tried the Frame Text Tool, the application hung once I clicked the tool.

The application is not crashing when using the Artistic Text tool (that is, again, if the program loads).  It seems to be crashing a couple times and then running, but things clearly aren't working as expected.

Update 8:56am ET: I just tried again this morning to check the fonts and with my Surface Book 2 plugged in to AC power, it is working.  But unplugged it is not.  I'm still getting occasional crashing though regardless of plugged in or not.  This is bizarre.

1f54d5c3-1733-4551-8510-c7ea12aa470c.dmp 3bf311fd-9eee-49e6-b07a-52eb130a1b3f.dmp 4f93dee2-937f-4e96-a74f-f9027c7bd8b3.dmp 69d77553-b950-4246-9de0-72f8eec897eb.dmp 79cfc87b-8777-46ec-a049-9d88fd18fa56.dmp 2520fb32-4686-4935-be45-a607a9d88396.dmp a2df7b4d-9c6f-400a-a43c-fafa915e3599.dmp ec929f57-89b0-4785-96cb-1ab04b7a48c7.dmp f916d153-cef2-4221-bd6d-8076fa9bbd6e.dmp

Edited by laskop
Clarification and update

• Staff
43 minutes ago, laskop said:

Update 8:56am ET: I just tried again this morning to check the fonts and with my Surface Book 2 plugged in to AC power, it is working.  But unplugged it is not.  I'm still getting occasional crashing though regardless of plugged in or not.  This is bizarre.

Very bizarre, i've no idea why plugging into AC would help, unless its related to a Power Saving issue/setting in Windows (thats a stab in the dark).  I've still not been able to replicate the crash when working with text.  I'm just waiting on someone checking the DMP files and will report back.

1 minute ago, stokerg said:

Very bizarre, i've no idea why plugging into AC would help, unless its related to a Power Saving issue/setting in Windows (thats a stab in the dark).  I've still not been able to replicate the crash when working with text.  I'm just waiting on someone checking the DMP files and will report back.

The crashing is happening when starting the application from the shortcut on the desktop.  It will crash a couple times and then maybe the third time it will run, but then there are the problems with the fonts not matching.  Sorry if I missed making that clarification.

I was able to get the program running for a couple minutes to do some additional testing.  With the laptop unplugged I am getting consistent issues with the font selection.  Upon plugging in, the first attempt had the jumbled fonts but following attempts stopped jumbling them.  The crashing had randomly calmed down long enough for me to check that but eventually picked up again.  It seems more or less random when it decides to work and when not to.

The crashing isn't happening with using the Artistic Text tool, just the jumbled up fonts as far as I can tell.  I had one instance of an app hang when I selected the Frame Text tool but I have not been able to reproduce that.

I had to switch back to 1.7 because I have a lot of work to do, but the issues I had are EXACTLY the same (except for the AC power thing) - jumbled fonts, general erratic app behavior and crashing.  I noticed that 1.8 is working perfectly on my laptop and the difference is that I have far less fonts installed on my laptop than my PC. Could that have something to do with the crashing? I run Win10 with all the latest updates on both machines.

3 hours ago, stokerg said:

@dkriznik How many fonts do you have on the PC?  @laskop Do you have a large amount of fonts?

We may need to look at getting a zip file of your fonts folder in order to replicate this

My Surface Book 2 has only 240 fonts installed.  Some of them are from Google Fonts via SkyFonts, some are purchased from MyFonts.com and OTF/TTF installed locally.  I have not tried 1.8 on my desktop which has many more.  I'm unsure my licensing of my purchased ones allows me to ZIP them.

• Staff

Hi Everyone in this thread:

We’ve had several reports from that after updating to 1.8 on Windows their app is no longer opening, We believe it may be related to fonts and our developers are currently investigating. When we have an update we’ll let you know. I'm sorry that everyone in this thread is having this issue. If you’re using the Affinity Store version, you can go back to 1.7.3 if you need to use the app in the meantime. 

https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/designer/1/
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/photo/1/
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/publisher/1/

45 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi Everyone in this thread:

We’ve had several reports from that after updating to 1.8 on Windows their app is no longer opening, We believe it may be related to fonts and our developers are currently investigating. When we have an update we’ll let you know. I'm sorry that everyone in this thread is having this issue. If you’re using the Affinity Store version, you can go back to 1.7.3 if you need to use the app in the meantime. 

https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/designer/1/
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/photo/1/
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/publisher/1/

Will files created with 1.8 work on 1.7.3 or will we have to wait until patches are released to access those again?

Edit: Apparently not.  That means I have to redo my whole project. 😭