You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD File Format Layers dont work in external app

I used PSD Files to make textures for CINEMA 4D. C4D supports Photoshoplayers. But if I load a PSD that I exported from Affinity Photo the layers dont work. Even if I open the file in Photoshop and save from photoshop the Layers dont work correctly in C4D. Only layers I create in Photoshop in that file will be read by C4D.

I hope that can be fixed. Greetings, Holger

I reported a similar array of experiences when trying to open the saved psd file from Affinity Photo in Manga Studio,Sketchbook Pro and Corel Painter 2015. Manga would crash on trying to open the file. Sketchbook wouldn't recognise it at all and Painter came up with "This is not in Adobe Photoshop file format". Only when I opened the AP psd file in Photoshop CS6 and Photoline 19.1 which they did perfectly, and saved the file out as a psd file from both programs would they be successfully recognised and opened in all three applications.

Clearly there is something in the code which is not recognised as a Photoshop file in other applications.

I reported a similar array of experiences when trying to open the saved psd file from Affinity Photo in Manga Studio,Sketchbook Pro and Corel Painter 2015. Manga would crash on trying to open the file. Sketchbook wouldn't recognise it at all and Painter came up with "This is not in Adobe Photoshop file format". Only when I opened the AP psd file in Photoshop CS6 and Photoline 19.1 which they did perfectly, and saved the file out as a psd file from both programs would they be successfully recognised and opened in all three applications.

Clearly there is something in the code which is not recognised as a Photoshop file in other applications.

I have also seen this sort of thing from time to time, but the problem is that there is no way to be sure exactly where the problem lies. Perhaps the psd format saved by AP is not "quite" right. Or perhaps the 3rd party apps are expecting some format that is also not "quite" right. Or perhaps it is a combination of both.

Several times (prior to the official launch of AP) I had to open files in either Elements or CS 5.1 and re-save them to get the file to open properly in a 3rd party app. Some times it worked, some times it did not. I just don't know how the developers can determine if the problem is in AP or the 3rd party apps. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.