You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preventing Crashes and Speed Optimizing on PC

I've searched the forum and read on this topic but I still have questions.

I crash Designer often. I'll have about 8 different layers, that are groups, of tiles, tiled together. My artboard is large, 11,000 by 15,000 px. My groupings of tiles are slightly larger. 

I'm using a windows 10 pro, i7 8700k 3.2 ghz 16 gb ram

I'll be zooming in or out, or just moving a layer, and it'll crash completely, not warning. This has happened probably 15 times. 

Under Preferences, Tools settings, what should RAM usage limit be at? 100% I've been keeping it at 80%

Do I need to flatten my groupings of tiles? Is that slowing things down? What would be a better work flow be able to do larger sizes?

Is my computer fast enough? Would adding more ram help?

Do people run Chrome at the same time? does that slow things down too much? it shouldn't right?'

Are there other settings I ought to adjust? My undo limit is at 130. 

Any advice in general on doing extra large and high resolution projects?

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Jedimindtraveler,

Welcome to the forums :)

Id say depending on the volume of your groups flattening them could be a good idea however they will then be raster objects so you wont be able to edit the individual objects anymore. RAM usage at 80 is likely the best setting if you have other programs open when using the app as they may also need to utilise RAM. If possible could you provide a screenshot of your performance screen so I can see what settings you are using? Chrome at the same time shouldn't be a problem but it will definitely increase the amount of resources being actively used on your computer.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.