You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scale relative to a different reference point like in Illustrator

Hi,

Is it possible to add  the feature -  scale relative to a different reference point eg- the center of a circle, ie. I have a circle and want to create another circle slightly smaller but in the same position as in the illustration of a target. Create multiple circles all having the same center but vary in size instead of using the alignment tool as this is not precise enough. Thank you for taking the time out to read my suggestion.

image.thumb.png.c5f9a30435243d16db740c2e1c996b3b.png

image.png

Hi @TyNik, welcome to the forums!

You can already do this using the Move tool.

Holding down the command key (Mac - if you are on Windows check the status bar to see which key it is there) will normally scale around the center of the object.

To change the point it scales around, turn on the Enable Transform Origin button on the context toolbar; this will show the transform origin in the center of the object, then you can drag it to the point you want to scale/shear/rotate around (for scale and shear need to hold down command).

Hello,

Thank you fde101. It worked. 

I am new to affinity and it shows I guess *chuckles* (Affinity converted from Illustrator).

One more question please: Everytime I use shift, It scales my image down but not in proportion. How do i get it to consistently resize equally? eg. If i have made the shape and converted it, Shift works. If its a preset shape like a circle then i can resize with just the bound box and pressing shift allows me to transform it???

(On a mac)

Thank you.

9 hours ago, TyNik said:

How do i get it to consistently resize equally?

By default, the Affinity apps scale most shapes non-proportionally, but images and artistic text (that I can think of off-hand) scale proportionally by default, since stretching them is not likely to be the normal desired action.  Using the shift modifier reverses whatever the default would be for the object(s) being scaled.

You can change this behavior using the "Move Tool Aspect Constrain" option on the Tools preferences page.