You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TOC Creation Blanks Document Contents

I am using Publisher on desktop, Windows 10.

I pasted the contents of a book created elsewhere into Publisher and used the text autoflow feature to have it expand to as many pages as needed. Formatted everything with Chapter Title, pics, etc.

Inserted 2 new blank pages near beginning of document to create TOC and inserted TOC, which doesn't fit on one page. Clicked the chain icon and linked it to the next text box on the next page to have the TOC overflow - which it does nicely. All the rest of my pages then go blank. The correct number of pages is still there, but none of the content is viewable any longer, after the newly inserted TOC.

Any suggestions?

• Staff

Hi twiceborn,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble in Publisher! I've tried to replicate the issue reported however I've yet been unable to - after creating a new document and linking text frames, I then placed a .docx file to fill these, created 2 pages above with a TOC, increased the text size so that it overflowed into the next frame and all text below remained visible, as expected.

Could you please provide a copy of the .afpub where this occurs so I can investigate this further? If you wish to keep this document private you can upload it to the following link - https://www.dropbox.com/request/3pOG0DQL3ogg9qoIF7r1

Thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response and many thanks for your file. 

I can see that your books contents is currently all within the 'Dedication' text box on page 3. As you've added in the TOC after flowing your text, this has interrupted the flow and your text now no longer flows correctly through your pages.

To correct this, please select the third page of the TOC (Page 9) and unlink its text box from the next page, as you want to confine the TOC to its own flow such that it doesn't affect your books contents.

Now select the 'Dedication' frame on Page 3 and link it to the blank frame on Page 10 that you've just unlinked the TOC from. You should find your text now flows from the 'Dedication' page, past your TOC and the continues throughout your book.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!