You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

can't get double sided printing

Hi,

I'm using a Canon MX870 printer for my home projects. I'm having a devil of a  time getting it to print double sided pages reliably.

There's so many things that influence this that its hard to be specific. I have done and redone all the document and spread options, and it prints single sided. I carefully choose "double sided flip short" for my purpose, in the Print window, it still prints single sided. I have successfully printed a new document double sided and saved the profile, later on it only prints single sided. This has me treed and if anyone has a suggestion from the info I can provide I can use it I certainly would love to hear it. I am becoming suspicious of the printer itself because all the changes made in Publisher have no effect.

Well, that's my topic. Any takers?

James

Under APub in Win or OSX? - Did you tried to export the doc as PDF and printing that PDF instead with some other tool like Acrobat for Win, or Preview on Macs etc.?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Among the printers here flying around in the net I also have a Canon MX870 printer, which generally prints Ok double sided when accessed from Win10 and OSX. But I don't use APub for printing here, instead other word processing and DTP software. - However, I can imagine that it's maybe a APub based Canon driver access problem, as far as other software doesn't have the same double sided printing problems on your Win7 side.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Good morning. Hi there v_kyr (where'd that come from? :-)).

I have taken the blame off APub for the problem  of not being able to select double sided printing on my MX870. I have been concentrating on the printer. I discovered that I can select "duplex printing" from the printer setup menu and THEN I can print double sided IF and ONLY IF I select "plain paper". Any other choice of paper causes duplex printing to become grayed out. Apparently this is an unannounced limitation of  the MX870. I did get sturdier double sided by selecting plain paper and sneakily loading something heavier in the paper tray. Seems no other options than standard are allowed for duplex, neither quality or paper stock. I give credit for APub trying to push this past the limitation, sometimes successfully. It's much more reliable to print single sided odd or even numbered, then manually flip paper and print other side on the reverse. Foo.

Well that's what I've found so far.

James

Well the printer comes along with a bigger manual (in HTML or PDF form) which covers and deals with how to setup the different driver printing options (you can download it's PDF from Canon). You should find informations about paper handling and driver based double sided printing there in.

Important

• If a media type other than Plain Paper, Hagaki A or Hagaki is selected in the Media Type menu under Quality and Media, Automatic Duplex Printing is not available.
  • Automatic Duplex Printing can not be performed unless one of the following paper sizes is selected in Paper Size. US Letter (US Letter), US Letter (borderless), DIN A5 (A5), A4 (A4), A4 (borderless) (A4 (borderless)), jis-B5 (JB5) , Hagaki
  • After printing on the front, the ink must dry for a while before the back can be printed. (Printing is interrupted.) Do not touch the paper during this period. You can set the ink drying waiting time under Custom Settings in the Canon IJ Printer Utility.
  • Do not use smaller plain paper than A5 for automatic duplex printing.
  • If the back side of the paper is smeared during duplex printing, perform bottom plate cleaning in the Canon IJ Printer Utility.