You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can NOT get layermasks to work on iPad Pro 2018

Hey! I am working on editing some beauty images, and I can not for the life of me figure out how to make a Gaussian blur layer “masked” so that I can paint on the amount of blur that I desire. I also would like to be able to duplicate the background, set the layer to “soft light” or “screen” and be able to mask it and paint back on the effect as well. This is so simple in photoshop and i’m Baffled as to why it’s so complicated on Affinity. I had really high hopes for this program, but since this is a main function of my retouching process, I currently feel very limited. 

Also experiencing issues with the patch tool being glitchy and laggy, not sampling the correct areas. I have deleted and reinstalled Affinity, to no avail. Overall, not impressed so far. I’ll include an image that i’m attempting to retouch. 

Hi @Griffithta

If you have already converted the Gaussian blur to a Live Filter Layer (lightning bolt) I'm sure you have discovered that you can paint on the layer with black paint to mask (or remove) the blur.

To do it the opposite way round, 'Invert' the blur layer first. Select the  blur layer, go to the Channels Studio, and on the 'Gaussian Blur Alpha' channel, tap the ellipses (menu button). Tap Invert.

You can now paint the Gaussian blur effect on with white paint.

You can do pretty much the same thing with your duplicated blend mode layers. Use the + in the Layers Studio to create a Mask layer. Select that and then Invert it in the Channels Studio (Mask Alpha).. You can then paint it on with white paint to 'apply'.

You will have to tap the ellipses in the Layers studio to set the layer's blend mode.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.