You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black overprinting seems not working in Affinity Designer

I am designing a simple flier in Affinity Designer and want to save a PDF for the PrePress. When I check the CMYK separations in Adobe Acrobat Professional, I am observing that Black text is not overprinting over a colored background, no matter if I use the default black color or a newly created global color C0 M0 Y0 K100 with Overprint activated. I suppose I have to trust Adobe Acrobat that the overprinting instruction is not translated into the PDF file. My document is correctly set up in CMYK. I suppose it's an issue with Affinity Designer.

I would like to know beforehand if the software can handle black overprinting accordingly. My only tool to check this is Adobe Acrobat Professional, unfortunately.

Opening the PDF in Affinity Photo and checking the CMYK channels, also shows that black is knocking out, though I suppose that AP is not capable of recognizing overprint in a PDF even though it was created by its brother Affinity Designer.

Any idea guys?

version.jpg

export settings.jpg

color def.jpg

color setting.jpg

doc setting.jpg

overprint issue.afdesign

overprint issue.jpg

Edited by Ralf_Maeder
Typo

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Does PDF/X compatibility make any difference here (see: Overprinting)?

See also:

Following your post, I tried all PDF-X versions that Affinity Designer offers with no luck. Also coverting the letter to curves did nothing to the overprinting. Seems I am out of options. Black overprinting should be pretty basic standard for a serious graphic design software.