You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

" Failed to open PDF file, the file could not be parsed"

Hi, I am trying out affinity Designer on the mac, and so far I loved it. I am facing one problem, which is importing illustrator files exported from rhinoceros 3D. 

Rhino 3D is a CAD software than can export to .ai files. however, when I try to open the .ai file in Affinity Designer I get the following error message: " Failed to open PDF file, the file could not be parsed". It seems that the file  is recognized as a pdf file although it is a .ai (illustrator file). 

When opening the exported rhino .ai file in illustrator, it does open but the file name is changed from *. ai to *[converted].ai.

I have attached a sample file(test.AI) that is exported from Rhino as an Ai file.

Regards,

test.AI

Illustrator files usually include a PDF stream. That's what we read, and all we can read because the rest of Illustrator's file format is private. That's why it is reported as being a PDF. In this case it sounds like the .ai file does not contain the PDF stream.

I suggest you use Rhino 3D to export a PDF instead of .ai, and see if that works.

• 4 weeks later...

I can print the file to a pdf with vector output, however, I loose the layers structure ( which is normally preserved when exported to illustrator )  and the curves drawn in rhino are  treated as one object which makes it hard to edit. 

I have attached a sample of a pdf file from rhino opened in affinity Designer ( trial2.afdesgin). 

I will post this  as well to the rhino forum to see if they have any solution to it.

Thanks Dave

trial2.afdesign

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My only other suggestion would be to change the file extension to .eps and see if that helps. Older Illustrator files were actually EPS files in disguise, and that may be what Rhino is producing. If that works, try using the current beta, where this renaming step isn't necessary.