You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dark CR2

Just tried a Canon 5D II CR2 file and it is also rather dark compared to the Finder preview.

The Finder preview is taken from the embedded jpg in the raw image and not from the raw image itself. The jpg will contain a bunch of automated adjustments, one of which is almost certainly an added brightness, so it is reasonable that it would be lighter than the actual raw. I was comparing the Affinity Photo raw with the raw from other photo editors (Elements 13, PhotoLine, even Photoshop) where no brightness was added.

ADDED:

I have loaded a sample image into both Affinity and PhotoLine and here are the comparisons. Both are editors that do not adjust the loaded raw image and, if anything, the unadjusted Affinity image is actually brighter than unadjusted PhotoLine image.

Affinity

post-5675-0-69434800-1423596235_thumb.jpg

PhotoLine

post-5675-0-00868200-1423596255_thumb.jpg

The Finder preview is taken from the embedded jpg in the raw image and not from the raw image itself. The jpg will contain a bunch of automated adjustments, one of which is almost certainly an added brightness, so it is reasonable that it would be lighter than the actual raw. I was comparing the Affinity Photo raw with the raw from other photo editors (Elements 13, PhotoLine, even Photoshop) where no brightness was added.

Good point - I've often noticed when shooting with RAW and JPG saved that there are differences between the RAW /JPG files when viewed in Finder/Lightroom/Aperture but this struck me as more marked in Affinity Photo even before I saw this thread.  Provided Affinity Photo allows the full range of RAW adjustments possible within the limitations of a given RAW file dataset it isn't necessarily an issue but perhaps slightly jarring when there is quite a difference between the RAW/JPG files.

Good point - I've often noticed when shooting with RAW and JPG saved that there are differences between the RAW /JPG files when viewed in Finder/Lightroom/Aperture but this struck me as more marked in Affinity Photo even before I saw this thread.  Provided Affinity Photo allows the full range of RAW adjustments possible within the limitations of a given RAW file dataset it isn't necessarily an issue but perhaps slightly jarring when there is quite a difference between the RAW/JPG files.

When you shoot raw/jpg your camera adds auto adjustments to the jpg, but the raw is only the data from the sensor, so the jpg will probably always be sharper and brighter.

I posted screen shots of both the Affinity and PhotoLine displays from a raw image I shot a bit ago and you can see that, if anything, the Affinity image is brighter than the PhotoLine, not darker. I am not sure why it should be brighter (or darker) since they are both supposed to be unadjusted renderings of the sensor data but the Affinity image seems a bit nicer than that from PhotoLine.

I am certainly interested in seeing what the release of Affinity Photo is like because I think that the beta is very well done and really helpful.

When you shoot raw/jpg your camera adds auto adjustments to the jpg, but the raw is only the data from the sensor, so the jpg will probably always be sharper and brighter.

I posted screen shots of both the Affinity and PhotoLine displays from a raw image I shot a bit ago and you can see that, if anything, the Affinity image is brighter than the PhotoLine, not darker. I am not sure why it should be brighter (or darker) since they are both supposed to be unadjusted renderings of the sensor data but the Affinity image seems a bit nicer than that from PhotoLine.

I am certainly interested in seeing what the release of Affinity Photo is like because I think that the beta is very well done and really helpful.

Thanks Mike

Will naturally need to compare outside of Finder, but the difference is more striking than I have previously seen in Aperture/LR/DXO comparing to Finder.

Thanks Mike

Will naturally need to compare outside of Finder, but the difference is more striking than I have previously seen in Aperture/LR/DXO comparing to Finder.

It is worth mentioning that almost all popular editors do some adjustments on raw images when they are opened. For example, Lightroom has a series of default adjustments that it automatically does to all opened raw images unless the user has specifically told it to not make any changes. Default setting is add brightness and sharpening. Similarly Dxo OP (which I have on my system) also adds default adjustments when the image is opened unless the settings are changed.

It is rare that an editor does not do automatic adjustments. PhotoLine does not and (perhaps) Affinity does not. Elements, CaptureOne, Optics Pro and Photoshop all add adjustments to the raw image by default.

You can add a preset to Affinity to do the same if you wish.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.