You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Several things are crucial for me, as a AI user.

1. Holding Ctrl toggles current tool to Move tool or Move tool to Node tool temporarily

2. Ctrl+Space enables zooming (and not only Space+Ctrl, as it is now!)

3. Node tool should select points from different paths with marquee

4. Precise control over handles position (angle, distance), snapping handles to grid

5. Shift+Arrows in value fields should increase/decrease values by ten

6. Width for stroke in different units (type also)

7. Why End key press in K field in Color palette moves me to Brushes palette in default workspace?

8. I could not find a way to edit previously created brushes or create a new brush from vector artwork (no tooltips in UI for this also)

9. Visible text anchor

10. Blends, Meshes, warping...

You know, this is all for today's testing.

I can't do a thing I really want to test without all this stuff.

Frustration washes over me.

It all looks so well crafted, ultra fast, but it's all completely childish and not suitable at all for my working purposes.

It looks now like you are the sibling of Xara Designer — you can do what it doesn't and vice versa.

And all combined you could do some things AI can't!

Interactivity and speed are good, but I prefer to stick to AI for now as long as tool set won't match it.

You’ll always have to get used to a slightly different workflow with different applications. As for #1: what’s the problem with pressing ‘A’ to switch to the node tool and then pressing ‘A’ again to switch back to the move tool?

#2: This is probably a remnant of the Mac heritage of AD because there it would be Command and Space which is already taken by the OSs spotlight search. That’s why they did it the other way ’round. But again, what’s the problem with hitting ‘Z’ to switch to the zoom tool (and with this you can even use scrubby zoom: click and drag to right to zoom in, drag to left to zoom out) and then hitting ‘Z’ again to switch back to the previously selected tool?

#3: No, it shouldn’t. Or it should at least be a user preference, if at all. It’s such a smooth workflow that it just selects the nodes of the currently selected object(s) and not everything beneath. You can Shift-click any other object to also select and edit its nodes.

#5: you weren’t very specific which value fields you mean but this works at least in the transform panel and in some other fields like opacity, too.

#6: You can type in any unit you like. There was a post somewhere on this forum about which units AD supports but I can’t be bothered to search for it right now. But all the most common units (px, pt, cm, in) are definitely supported. You can even do simple math operations (enter 10-1px and you’ll get a 9px stroke).