You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I follow Affinity Designer Help instructions for clipping layers. One image is a picture, another is a rectangle with outline, no fill.

I superimpose two images on the artboard, then in Layers panel I drag the mage to be clipped (a picture) to the place of the rectangle.

The result is blank rectangle, no outline, no fill, only area marks if selected with moving tool.

What do I do wrong?

Are there any bugs in this feature?

There are subtle variations depending on where you drag and release the image in the Layers panel.

This is what you should see after dragging the image:

inside_1.png

If you see either of these:

under.png

mask.png

The you either:

Dragged too far and missed the rectangle layer, or

Dragged onto the rectangle thumbnail, making the image opacity a mask for which parts of the rectangle are showing.

When the image is in the correct position to drop, you should get a "hint" that looks like this:

hint.png

If the blue hint rectangle is the entire width of the Layers panel, you went too far and are just dragging the image below the rectangle.

If the blue hint rectangle is a narrow rectangle beside the rectangle thumbnail, you are about to make a mask.

If you dragged too far, you can try again.

If you made a mask, you can drag the mask thumbnail back out as a separate layer, or right-click on the mask thumbnail image and Release Mask.