You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HDR Merge and raw files

If raw files are opened in an HDR merge operation does the raw conversion apply the default contrast curve to each conversion. I wonder since I am seeing some bright highs and dark lows. I am wondering out loud since we have a merge and tone map in HDR merege and a contrast curve on raw conversion is probably not useful and maybe(?) harmful.

Photomatix and SNS HDR don't seem to exhibit the issue but then they are completely different tone map algorithms so no direct comparison. Maybe AP HDR merge just needs more tone compression range (> 100) or ?.

The link has publically available sample test raw HDR bracket files. The sun area is very bright and the plant foreground is very dark.

Shadows and highlights control is one of the rare areas AP is pretty weak (contrast reduction (HDR, raw, adjust), washout (live filter)). So I was wondering about getting better (subjective) results from the tone map.

http://captainkimo.com/hdr-software-review-comparison/

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.