You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating standardized treatments for image frames in affinity publisher

I am working on a large document with LOTS of images within it.   

I am trying to find a way that I can centrally manage the treatment of these images so that if, for example I want to change the outer glow, I can simply change that in one location and have that treatment ripple out to all the 10s of images throughout my document.    The images themselves can appear anywhere within a page, so I don't really see a way of using master pages in this particular case (maybe I am wrong).

I initially attempted to do this by creating a symbol using the Designer persona  (as had been suggested as an option on another similar topic) .... creating a symbol out of an empty image frame with my standardized FX treatment applied.... I hoped that I could then just drop this symbol where ever I wanted an image and then add the image to the symbol.   Unfortunately whenever I dropped the image into the symbol it always updates the master symbol with that image.   This could be avoided by detaching the empty symbol after I dropped it into a page, but of course that that defeats the purpose of having the treatment for all images centrally managed (through the symbol).

Can someone suggest a strategy for doing this kind of image treatment design management within Publisher?   (for those of you who are familiar with web design, it is similar to how a CSS file would work)

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

11 hours ago, Sheldon Lyttle said:

I initially attempted to do this by creating a symbol using the Designer persona .... creating an symbol out of an empty image frame with my standardized FX treatment applied.... I hoped that I could then just drop this symbol where ever I wanted an image and then add the image to the symbol.   Unfortunately whenever I dropped the image into the symbol it always updates the master symbol with that image.   This could be avoided by detaching the empty symbol after I dropped it into a page, but of course that that defeats the purpose of having the treatment for all images centrally managed (through the symbol).

Instead of detaching, unsync your instance of the symbol (by clicking on the right button in the Symbols panel), place an image and resync. Properties that has not been changed when unsynced will remain shared with other instances. 

P.S. Otherwise the Select by attribute command (in menu Select) can also be helpful. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.