You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Color Appearance Model options for Gradient interpolation and Transparency Interpolation

All the way in 2021 @yitzaklr asked for something similar as feedback to Affinity Designer 1. I just posted there not realizing it's an old thread so I'll copy that here.

On 11/28/2021 at 1:44 PM, Old Bruce said:

Which of four lines (the original plus the three lines I drew) is the most correct or incorrect?

466530082_ScreenShot2021-11-28at10_41_25AM.png.cdd71c2a40f2104311a2cdfc3a71d1c8.png

It depends on the Color Space model used to interpolate the gradient. Ideally we'd have an option to choose from multiple color spaces and newer Color Appearance Models (CAMs) such as OKLAB and CAM16, but even just CIELAB would be a great improvement over RGB. This should also be an option for transparency interpolation. Also Adobe has offered this functionality for a while..

The steps to compute this from an RGB base are roughly:

1. Convert the gradient RGB colors into the new CAM space
  2. Linearly interpolate between the CAM colors to fill in the gradient
  3. Convert those new CAM colors back into RGB space

Affinity already has HSL sliders so it should be easy to at least implement HSL gradient interpolation.

Hope to hear back about this! :)