You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

feedback: Guides not snapped in Export Persona - Affinity Designer 2

Problem description

I'm using Affinity Designer 2 Export Persona feature. I want to crop a long screenshot and export it. I divided them using guide lines and then went into the Export Persona panel. However, it failed to automatically capture my guides. This is very inconvenient.

Expected result

I hope that Export Persona can refer like Photoshop slicing tool, automatically identify my guide lines, and provide a quick cutting and export method without requiring me to manually cut the image.

Thank.

Snipaste_2024-02-04_21-04-04.png

Snipaste_2024-02-04_21-04-19.png

This was requested in 2018 (and maybe earlier):
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/71653-export-persona-slicing-snapping-using-guides/#comment-372047

See here for an explanation, from 2022, as to why it might not happen:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/117396-slices-doesnt-snap-on-guides/&do=findComment&comment=646590 

Basically, as I have interpreted the reason, the Export Persona uses pixels and, because guides can be set to non-integer-pixel positions (e.g. 12.5mm), the Export Persona cannot use/snap-to the guides.

Is there any good way to cut a long screenshot and export it?  I also don't require very precise cuts. If it is simply cut according to the length of the image, I don't think this way have any technical difficulty involved.

I’ve never needed to do it so I haven’t got any good ideas.

I can think of one way but it’s a bit long-winded so I won’t mention it here unless no-one else comes up with something better.

If you don’t need “very precise cuts”, why isn’t the Slice Tool good enough?

Oh, sorry, I understand what you meant. In fact, I can only use the Slice Tool to divide it manually, which is very troublesome. So it always fails to capture my slices. That's why I posted asking if there is any better way to solve it.

The Slice Tool can snap to other slices, so once you have the first slice done you should be able to create the others reasonably quickly, with a bit of manual work getting the heights right.

I thought I understood what you were wanting to do, but I could have been wrong and don’t want to take you down the wrong road.

Can you explain what you mean by “troublesome” and “capture my slices”?

I’ve attached a video of how I would divide an image (into 200 pixel width slices), to show what I thought you wanted to do (except you are working ‘rotated’ by 90 degrees to my example).