You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion: Separate colour for knife tool line

Hey Serif staff

I've had good use of the knife tool and I almost always use it with guides.

Unfortunately, the line that the knife tool cuts along is drawn with the exact same blue colour as selected objects and the default colour of the guides, so I think you should change the knife tool colour to... red maybe. 

And before I suggest it, yes, I know you can painstakingly change the colours of the guides from document to document; that's not the essence, it's that I'm suggesting a usability improvement that always benefits everyone.

Considering that your vector graphic program doesn't have settings to change the color of the knife tool's line, the best practice for the line color in graphic design tools is typically to use a color that stands out against the majority of backgrounds and elements you are working with. However, if there are no options to customize this in your program, the color choice is usually made by the software developers based on a few considerations:

Visibility: The line color for cutting tools is often a bright or high-contrast color to ensure visibility against a wide range of background colors. Common choices might include bright red, green, or blue.

Industry Standards: Sometimes, the color choice aligns with industry standards or common practices in graphic design. For example, magenta or cyan are often used for special purposes in design because they are less likely to clash with other elements.

Distinctiveness: The color is usually distinct from the colors used for guides, objects, or selection borders to avoid confusion.

📐🤙🏻

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.