You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Table of Contents not listing some headings that are styled appropriately

I'm working on an afpub book which has a simple table of contents listing only a small number of entries in the 'Heading 1' style. My book has a Preface placed on a page before the table of contents. The table of contents lists only the "Heading 1' entries that come after the TOC page. It does not pick up the Preface heading even though it is in the 'Heading 1' style. The Preface is in its own section with different page numbering (ie. i, ii, iii rather than 1, 2, 3, as in the following (main) section of the book). The TOC scope is set to 'Document', not 'Section'. I've checked the style/formatting of the Preface heading and it seems identical to the other Heading 1 headings. Is it normal that the TOC only lists style headings that come after the TOC itself? I hope I'm not missing something basic. I've researched this a bit but can't find an answer. Grateful for any tips.

Hello @Bootsy and welcome to the Forums!

Since you didn't mention setting it explicitly, is it possible that you have simply overlooked the "Include entries before the TOC" option, shown below?  The other one that might be affecting this would be the "Look in" setting, which probably needs to be set to All Text Frames.

2023-07-21_10-56-39.png.c00a04fd16e81772780f7de990426317.png

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release