You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Focus stacked .afphoto file contend

Using focus stacking sometimes results in pretty large files eg 500MB, does this mean all loaded pictures are still embedded such I can access these to a certain extend individually ?

If so I could delete my orginals and save a lot of storage.

Welcome to the forums @Gerald-GB

Do not delete your original images, unless you never want to use them again.

To put it simply, the Affinity files contain all kinds of ‘stuff’ which the software may use in the future to make things easier for itself but you should not rely on being able to retrieve any of that ‘stuff’ yourself.

You might be able to export some images from an Affinity document but you shouldn’t rely on being able to get the originals back because they might have changed inside the document.

If you want to try and make the Affinity file size smaller you can:
1) make sure that you aren’t saving the History with the document – make sure menu “File → Save History with document” is not checked;
2) make sure there are no Snapshots saved with the document – menu “Window → Snapshots” and then check the Snapshots Panel;
3) use menu “File → Save As” which can (often, but not always) clear a lot of ‘stuff’ from the document and create a ‘clean’, smaller file.

There may be other things you can do which other people might offer advice on.

Or you can search the forums for large file size and see what advice is already out there.

Thank you for your almost instant help, i‘ll check later some of the options to reduce the file size. I generally don‘t care abour storage space but the focuss stacking I do is adding up enormously.

thanks again

You’re welcome.

I don’t use the focus stacking functionality myself so I don’t know how it works or if there are any tricks to using it, but an expert in that area should be able to give you more information. Hopefully one of them will come along and be able to help further.