You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS export parameters

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with eps exports. I searched the forum and found a few related topics but nothing really matching my question.

When I export as EPS then reopen in Designer, the size and DPI of the document is not the same as the ones I chose on export. For example I set export options to 300 dpi, on a file of 2000 X 2000 px and I get a file with 72 dpi and 800-something px. 

Same thing happens either on ipad pro or desktop mac.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to figure out what ! Any help would be very appreciated ! 

Thank you

EPS (i.e. PostScript) is based on points as default unit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript#Units_of_length
As long as there are no actual pixels in the document, the EPS format assumes that 1 pt = 1 px which is the DTP standard at 72 ppi resolution.
And since the content is full vector, resolution doesn't even matter at all. You can always freely scale it as needed.
2000 px @ 300 ppi = 480 pt.

So when you open a full vector EPS 480×480 pt @ 72 ppi, simply change its resolution to 300 ppi, with objects set to Rescale. As there are no pixels yet, effectively nothing really changes.

As soon as you add pixel content, its dimensions and ppi will be included on EPS export. The same EPS will then be correctly calculated as 480 pt @ 300 ppi, as long as your EPS export preset is also set to this value. See also advanced export options on resampling, downscaling, JPEG compression etc.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2