You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error on Install on Windows 10: Access is Denied (0X80070005)

I don't see anyone else having this issue right now, but I'm unable to install the new v2 installers on my local Windows 10 laptop. I had v1.x of Photo and Designer on this machine, and now I've purchased a Universal License for v2. Downloaded the installers directly from the Affinity Store.

I do have Admin rights on this laptop, so it's not that. And I've checked the permissions for the Packages folder down inside ~/AppData/Local, and my account has full access there...

I've been on with my local support people, and everything looks right to them, they suggested I start a dialog with you guys to figure out what's going on.

NOTE: For some reason, when I right-click on your *.msix file, I get no "Open/Run as Administrator" - which usually forces Windows to work around issues like this. I don't know if it's a setting/attribute you guys set, or, something about the file...?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this.

Exact same issue here.  Here is the error I'm seeing:

App installation failed with error message: AppxManifest.xml(51,6): error 0x80070005: Cannot register the SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPublisher2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt package because the following error was encountered while registering the windows.fileTypeAssociation extension: Access is denied.
.  Try again and contact the package publisher if the problem persists. (0x80070005)

I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 (21H2 build 19044.2251).  I've tried disabling all of my anti-spyware tweaks and making sure that all Windows settings are set to "default" to see if something I'd done was stopping it - but even with the OS set back to default I see the above error.

I also get this error if I try to install the Microsoft.VCLibs.x64.14.00.Desktop.appx:

App installation failed with error message: error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_1.18.2691.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe. (0x80073d02)

So ... at this point I'm not sure what to do.  I guess I'll see if support addresses this - and if not I'll ask for a refund.  Really a shame that they would set the new version up this way (to be an "app").  Maybe put out a version that is just a good ol' EXE?

Also checked the Affinity folder in the Temp directory - but the installers aren't creating any new folders - so, no log files, either.