You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

many eps files are blank when opened- consistently

I think I found the problem.

iCloud Drive creates an .iCloud files to sync between devices...

So I turned off this option ...After that iCloud sync properly from iCloud Documents Folder to my Local Documents Folder

I think my local and iCloud documents wasn't synced properly. 

Now all eps files are opening fine.

image.png.a44caa26dc99eead8a499ce7f6ae05c3.pngimage.png.83b48accf242bd9fa11d9ee1430a3435.png

I'm glad you figured it out. Unfortunately this isn't my problem. I'm opening directly from my hard drive.

I still have the problem and it happens on random files. It doesn't happen often, but I will never be able to open that same file. I probably should just uninstall the program and reinstall. Since my initial post, I did update to the newest OS, but it still happens- maybe less often though.

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2022 at 5:40 AM, JimmyJack said:

Oh wait a sec.
My last guess (until I have another one 😉)
Are you using an external hard drive or cloud storage?
If so, try bringing the eps file to your local drive and try.

Thank for this! I was having the same problem and it worked for me. I tend to have all my documents stored in Dropbox so I can jump between different computers. Downloading the .eps file to my local drive worked! 

Thank you

• 3 months later...

Hi hello from the future!

I was having the same exact problem as I have decided to switch to Affinity and stop using Illustrator for cost purposes. I'm working off a M2 Max MBP, 98GB RAM. All brand new, and the software was just installed yesterday.

Anyway, I download my vectors from Vecteezy (with subscription - so they're paid), where most of them are EPS (if not SVG). I don't sync with iCloud, but I do use OneDrive. I moved the file out of my sync folder and onto my desktop folder. It worked normally. So this is some weird bug or something.

- I did try re-saving the EPS as an Affinity file on my onedrive folder, that worked.

- I did take the original EPS and copied it to the desktop, and moved back to the onedrive folder. This did NOT work.

- I did open the EPS from the desktop (worked fine), then re-exported to onedrive folder. This worked.  *derp*

So hopefully anybody runs into this, open file in local un-sync'd folders first, and then try again. This is gonna be a weird workflow.

Edited by Groovdafide

I'm so glad this was brought up again. All this time, I had been saving these to my Documents folder, which I thought was local and was syncing to iCloud. But apparently it has been the reverse- never my intention- the Documents folder was in iCloud and syncing to my Mac- looking like it was local. And that's why these have been blank when opening in Affinity. I don't know why it's a problem with so many Vecteezy eps files but rarely some of the other sites. But anyway, thank you for replying. It's only because I had a problem with iCloud removing all my synced files from my computer that I finally realized all these files were not local! You have solved my problem. Now when I truly save the eps files locally- that were blank before when opening, are no longer blank. :0}